Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Never Oversleep Again

I've been using my Andoid phone as my alarm clock.

PROS:
  • Nice, mellow, slowly loudening wake-up sound. Much less jarring than the buzzer on my 20-year-old alarm clock.
  • Can have multiple named alarms, set in advance. Greatly lessens the chance of forgetting to set your alarm. For those easy-to-forget extra-early Monday meetings--set the alarm on Friday.
  • Battery backup, of course!


CONS:

  • Hard to snooze
  • No visual time-check when you wake up in the middle of the night
  • Small reliability risk, relative to tried-and-true alarm clock technology

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous15:21

    Waking up in the middle of the night - con? I never look at the clock in the middle of the night as a rule because I think KNOWING what time it is can only cause possible stress. Whether it be not much time left to sleep or you can't get to sleep or whatever, the information just creates possible concerns.

    it could just be my neurosis (sp?) but I try to never look at the time and assume whatever time it is, it's the right time to go back to sleep. ;o)

    Rocketstar (for some reason I think Google Authenticator is screwing up my sign in)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rocketstar - I don't like/want to know what time it is if I wake up during the night. Unless it's one of those rare times where I have to wake up before dawn for some reason and I'm already nervous about oversleeping.

    In general, I can't bear to wake up to an alarm. It's just soooo jarring. I wake up to the dulcet tones of my local NPR affiliate instead!

    ReplyDelete