Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

Wells Fargo's Hair-Trigger Fraud Detection

In 25 years, I've probably had half a dozen credit cards that I used regularly. Travel within the United States has never been an issue. Most of that time, I have been a light traveler, maybe 2-4 trips per year to other parts of the country.

In the past few years, we've been using a Wells Fargo 1% cash back card as our primary. That's about to end, though, because they have the most ridiculously, over-sensitive, false-positive-generating, and uncorrectible fraud detection. As best I can tell, any time we are more than one state away from Minnesota, all transactions are declined.

The first couple of times it happened, I thought it was a fluke. But it happens Every. Single. Time. The only solution is to call and explain. I've asked if they can tweak my profile. "Nope, that just how our fraud-detection works". Well can I at least notify them online? Nope, gotta call. Is there a special number I can call, and bypass IVR hell? Nope, just call the regular number.

Three strikes, you're out Wells Fargo.

No comments:

Post a Comment