Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2018

Navigation Apps: Better Historical Data to Extrapolate ETA

Modern navigation apps, such as Google Maps, are amazing. Refinements such as telling me which of the two left-turn lanes to take are incredibly impressive. But based on my limited experience--I am a full-time telecommuter who only occasionally drives the 30 miles across the metro to go into the office--there is one area I see a lot of room for improvement.

If I start navigation early into rush-hour, for my 30-mile cross-metro commute, I might see ETA 42 minutes. But that will typically elongate as I drive, peaking around 51 minutes. So the missing ingredient, particularly relevant for long, rush-hour drives, is the degree to which congestion builds. I have to think Google has more than enough data to build this in to their algorithm.

No comments:

Post a Comment