Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2018

Anti-Pattern: Part 1 of Series Does not Part 2

Often when using the web for technical research, I will come on Part 1 in a series of articles. If Part 1 is useful, the next thing I typically want to do is read Part 2. Wouldn't a link be helpful, to let me click on through to Part 2??

I understand there is a design--challenge: often Part 2 doesn't exist when Part 1 is create. The obvious solution: when creating Part 2, take the extra time to go back edit Part 1 to add the link. The even better solution (not always possible) is to have a structure so that you know in advance where Part 2 will be posted. In that case, the editor can add a note "When available, Part 2 will be posted here".

(The article that pushed me over the edge, providing the impetus for this post, was this otherwise excellent article at O'Reilly, who really out to know better.

No comments:

Post a Comment