Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2020

My Mint Transaction Review Process

I've been using Mint.com for a few years now. I imagine I am a typical, lightweight user--I don't try to categorize things, I just use it to pull all my transactions into one journal, that I can review weekly (especially important for couples who share accounts).

For a while, I reviewed them directly in Mint, and that works okay, but its interface is not exactly snappy. I eventually hit on the idea of exporting them all to Excel (effortless, built-in, just scroll to the bottom of the transactions window for the "Export All" option). That has worked much better.

In Excel, I have all the responsiveness, power and speed of that very familiar application. Search, filter, it's all there. I review transactions, flag things that my wife needs to review, or that I may need to follow up on (e.g., Reimbursable), make an occasional note. Takes maybe 20 minutes per week, total.

There are little glitches, that mostly don't bother me, but would get in the way if you were trying to do true accounting. The main thing is that some transactions appear to be repeated, but aren't. I think this must have something to do with the timing of the credit card clearing process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment