Pages

Wednesday, October 07, 2020

Tweet from a Canadian: I've voted in every Canadian election since I was 18 and I've never registered for shit. "Voter registration" is voter suppression. Just to clarify for the pedants, yes I'm technically registered but the gov does it automatically. I've moved 6 times in the last 10 years and never had to lift a finger to register myself.

I love this tweet for a couple of reasons, beyond the fact that it illustrates a sensible that I agree with. It illustrates a couple of my favorite beliefs. One, a different kind of American nationalism. A kind that values American citizenship, and what is best for America, far, far above state politics and policies. The privileges of American citizenship should follow seamlessly, wherever one relocates in the country.

Second, the value of empirical inquiry into how it is done in other places. The US, like any government, would be wise to cast a broad net of intellectual inquiry, look for what works elsewhere, and consider how it might be applied here. Completing your income taxes is another good example. Or, uh, firearms regulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment