Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

NBC Olympic Vandalism


I love the Olympics! And I really love the Wintery Olympics in glorious HD! What I want to know is--why does NBC think they should be able to vandalize the picture? What I mean by that is--why must they appropriate 3% of my pixels for the non-stop display of this?!








I know, I know--they overpaid for the telecast rights, and they are perfectly entitled to vandalize my picture, if that's what they want to do. I just don't see what purpose it accomplishes. I get that they might want to flash it occasionally--which actually might be more effective--but why does it have to be there 24 x 7, so to speak? I don't think it is much more effective than the hated DVD anti-piracy warnings. In the long run, I have to believe there is bad karma to companies that needlessly antagonize their customers, just because they can.

2 comments:

  1. Could it be that it's not really NBC's fault for the size of their watermark because they use it to cover a logo from the Olympic Broadcast Services pool feed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A thoughtful counterpoint, Bill. My core complaint remains, though perhaps it is not NBC's fault, or perhaps is the dreaded result of no single entity's accountability.

    ReplyDelete