Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Kickstarter Idea: Wireless Charging Shelf

Background: We have 6 Qi devices in the family (all our phones plus my Nexus 7 tablet). Thus it is very convenient to keep a Qi wireless charging pad front-and-center on the kitchen counter.

Problem: this is messy, and uses valuable counter space.


Solution: I want a wall-mounted Qi shelf. One idea I have is for a custom socket wall plate, which includes mounting hardware for the shelf. That would probably be the ultimate, deluxe solution. But more costly, both for parts, and effort to install. And not portable. So it is one idea, but maybe not first choice.



A variant that might address these problems would be to have the charger-shelf plug in to the outlet.


The challenge here would be combat flimsiness and instability. I think it could be done. Combine a very rigid plug with a little raised "fence" around the perimeter of the charger-shelf.

If someone creates a Kickstarter for this, I'll fund it for $75.
_________

For bonus points, create some kind of adjustment mechanism, to help position the device. I am thinking of some kind of slider, like on a printer, for different paper sizes.

(I'm pretty sure this thing will not be practical for even a 7" tablet. Win some, lose some.)

No comments:

Post a Comment