Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Some E-Commerce Apps Should Be More Careful About Default Stores

Over the years, I have had a few cases where online apps wind up placing my order at the wrong location. I can't universally rule out user error on my part, but I have some clear-cut cases where the app messed up. In one case (can't remember now which app), when I identified my use case as In-Store Pickup, and an item was not available in my default store, but was available in a nearby store, it auto-switched my order to the nearby store. 

Recently with Panera, the app had a flat-out bug.

Either way, I wonder if more thoughtful preference configuration could help. What jumps to mind is asking the customer to identify which use case best describes their needs:

  1. I almost always order for the same location. If an order is ever different than my default location, please ask me to confirm.
  1. I order for many different locations. Do not ask me to confirm when the location changes or is new.
For extra-credit, AI could probably be brought to bear, to refine the options, or to default them.

No comments:

Post a Comment