Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2026

How people spend time

 

I had an interesting personal experience in observing how people spend time. I generally hate long, stand-around waits for anything. As much as possible I arrange my life to avoid them; when I encounter them, I usually bail and forego the whatever, if that is an option.

The other day, I went to my local Bruegger's to pick up a dozen bagels. I do this quite frequently, and normally I phone in my order. (Hello Bruegger's--please invest a little more in your online ordering system, so a very basic activity--ordering a dozen bagels and specifying which particular bagels to include--is supported).

But for whatever reason, nobody was answering the phone. I think they use a cordless, maybe it ran out of charge or got left in a backroom. So I decided to take my chances and show up in person.

It wasn't all that busy, but it took me a good 15 minutes to get my dozen bagels. What amazed me was the number of people I saw in that time who came in and ordered just one bagel, to-go, and seemed to think nothing of waiting 15 minutes for it! 

I was chafing at waiting that long for 13 bagels. So much time for one crummy bagel!

No comments:

Post a Comment