Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2026

The first person I knew to require broadband when relocating was my Mom

Mom and Dad got broadband early, I think in 1999. They were in their mid-60s at the time, and lived in Simsbury, CT, a Hartford suburb. They were not super tech-savvy, but were both daily AOL users, and had branched out into the open internet.

I had been aware for a few years of the coming availability of consumer broadband, via cable infrastructure. But it was not on the horizon anywhere near where I lived (Fishers, Indiana), and I did not personally know of anyone who had it. It seemed like it was very limited to a few places, like probably San Francisco. Then I somehow came across an article that said it was currently being rolled out in there area, l advised them to sign up immediately, don't debate whether it is worth it because it will be.

They followed my advice and never looked back. So much so that 2 years later, when they were relocating out of Simsbury, my mother made broadband availability a pre-condition for a next house!

(Fortunately, a couple of years had passed, and also they were moving to the NoVA area, a hotbed of telecomm infrastructure, so that requirement didn't prove hard to fulfill--especially since they wound up building in a brand-new development. )

No comments:

Post a Comment