Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2019

Feature Ideas for Spoiler Prevention

The world does not appreciate the anti-spoiler mindset. It is most crucial in sports. I'm only a modest sports watcher, but ever since it became possible not to suffer through timeouts, halftimes, replay holdup, I have been all-in on tape-delayed viewing. I know I am still in the minority in this regard, which itself is a subject for bafflement.

Better spoiler protection for sports is WAY overdue. I would like to see all social media apps include anti-spoiler-walls in their editors. E.g., "click REVEAL to reveal spoiler text". Same goes for professional publications--newspaper websites are often the worst offenders. 

Some of the Youtube.tv ux is just daft. It should be thoughtful enough to consider, if I have set something to record, I don't want to see the score in the thumbnail.

Spoiler prevention is by no means limited to sports. Plot giveaways are the worst. I will say there is more sensitivity there. But my advanced anti-spoilerism extends even beyond that. If you know how many episodes are left in a series, or how much time is left in a show, that has spoiler-ish implications. I would love options to suppress even that info.

No comments:

Post a Comment