Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2019

Yelp $$ Scale Needs Work

I've been quite happy with my Yelp experience over the 8 or so years I have been using it. I am not a super-heavy Yelper, but I use it steadily, mostly when looking for restaurants while traveling. I honestly can never remember being disappointed, and often have found real, out-of-the-way gems.

But one area that Yelp has been weak in, with zero improvement, is the $ cost ratings. Yelp assigns 1-4 $igns to give an indication of a restaurant's cost. Very important information, obviously. Problem is, the way the scale is used in practice throws away most of the bandwidth. One $ is fast-food-level. Two $$ covers everything a competent but unremarkable family diner, up to a pretty good, independent restaurant. That is easily a factor of 2X--entrees from $10 to over $20. Three $$$ is somewhere many would consider a one-every-5-years splurge, and $$$$ is "take out a bank loan".

So most of the time, I am in the $$ range, and the range is too broad for my liking.


No comments:

Post a Comment